Stress-Relief Detox Bath
Taking time for self-care is more important than ever to counter the effects of our fast-paced, high-tech environment where high stress lifestyles are the norm. This week’s staff pick for favorite stress reduction method to perform dry-brushing the skin, followed a warm, 20-30 minute detox bath. What a great way to unwind at the end of a long, stressful week!
Dry brushing is exactly as it sounds. You brush the skin using a natural-bristle bath brush (you can buy at your local grocery or local bath supply store), typically starting at the hands and feet and working toward this heart. Be sure to use a brush with a long handle to reach your back.
Dry-brushing not only helps to reduce stress by stimulating natural endorphins, but also exfoliates the skin and unclogs pores. Some claim it even helps to improve lymphatic drainage which boosts the immune system (the science is still not out on this yet, however).
Perform dry-brushing just prior to your detox bath. Brush gently, or skip altogether if you have sensitive skin.
A detox bath kicks your plain bath up a notch or two. Our favorite detox bath recipe uses Epsom salts (you can buy at your local drug store) and your favorite essential oil. We like Lavender for stress-relief.
In addition to stress reduction, a detox bath improves sleep, helps to reduce muscle aches, helps to flush toxins from the body and may help improve circulation. Here is our quick, easy homemade recipe:
- Add 1-2 Cups Epsom Salts to warm bath water.
- Add your favorite essential oil (5-10 drops will do).
- Be sure to add enough water to be able to immerse yourself to your neck.
That’s it. Now light some candles, turn on your favorite relaxation music and enjoy!
- Always leave a warm bath slowly and carefully as dizziness can sometimes occur.
- Be sure to stay hydrating while taking warms baths by drinking plenty of water before and after and avoiding alchohol.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or have been diagnosed with a heart condition prior to using Epsom salts or essential oils.